Johnny Barker, Catalinas Music Icon, passes away unexpectedly

Publish date: 2024-05-08

The sudden passing of Johnny Barker has left a deep void in the hearts of many, as the news of his untimely demise surfaced on Thursday, October 26, 2023. He was known and cherished by countless individuals whose lives he had touched with his music and his compassionate spirit.

As the community grieves the loss of this beloved music icon, heartfelt condolences and tributes have poured in, offering solace to the grieving family during this challenging time. It is a poignant reminder of the profound impact Johnny Barker had on the lives of those around him.

Tom Grose posted on Facebook,

“My first cousin Johnny Barker passed away last night. He was a giant in the North Carolina music scene, a great producer, songwriter, arranger, singer and keyboardist. Beach music fans will know his most famous song “Summertime’s Calling Me,” recorded by his group The Catalinas in the 1970s. It’s a hard day for me, he was a great friend. Prayers for his wife Bonnie Hunt Barker, his brothers Lynn and Gary Barker, his sisters Marilyn and Shirley, his children, all his bandmates and crew in The Catalinas, The Embers and The Entertainers through the years, and all his friends, fans and clients. Rest in Heaven Cuz, I’ll miss you!”

Hailing from Statesville, Johnny Barker’s musical talents and genuine humility endeared him to a wide audience. His educational journey through Avery Sherrill, Troutman, Wayside, and Cool Spring High Schools, followed by his pursuit of a Music Major/Piano degree at Mitchell College, exemplified his dedication to his craft and passion for music.

At present, the circumstances surrounding Johnny Barker’s passing, including the exact cause of his death, remain undisclosed, leaving many unanswered questions. The public eagerly awaits further information, and updates will be provided as soon as they become available.

Reflecting on his legacy, Tamara Holcomb Bowen beautifully captured Johnny Barker’s essence, describing him as an individual whose love for music and entertainment knew no bounds. His kind and loving heart endeared him to all who knew him, leaving an indelible mark on their lives. Johnny Barker’s absence will undoubtedly be deeply felt, but his memory will continue to resonate, ensuring that he is never forgotten.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51kt7C0zaewZpqRp7imvoycmK2ZnJ67or%2BMpqysoZNitqS7zWanmqujmsBurdaasGatnprFsbHCrZydpKlk